2. Bacteria grow on teeth. Unless the bacteria are removed every day, they grow and develop into plaque.
3. The bacteria eat what we eat. When we feed them sugar, they produce acid. Sugar is their favorite food!
4. If the bacteria and acid remain on our teeth, they eat holes in our teeth. These holes are cavities.
5. Bacteria also produce many poisonous substances that cause our gums to become inflamed.
6. The inflammatory substances are partly responsible for gum disease (pyorrhea or periodontitis).
7. If you remove the bacteria from your teeth EVERY DAY, you will avoid cavities and gum disease.
These are very simple ideas, but they are true. The cleaner your teeth are, the healthier they will be. Most tooth decay and most gum disease can be avoided by keeping your teeth exquisitely clean and avoiding sugar in your diet.
Dental hygienists remove the bacterial deposits from your teeth. They scale and polish away the calcified plaque. This removes some of the causes of gum disease. Most people need their teeth cleaned every 6 months. Some people are prone to gum problems and more frequent cleaning.
So there it is. Keep your teeth exquisitely clean every day and you will avoid most of the problems with tooth decay and gum disease!
Are you looking for a dentist that would rather help you avoid cavities than fix all of your teeth? If you are in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area and are looking for a dental home for your whole family...maybe we are the office for you...we would love to meet you!
Click here to contact Dr. Gibbons or Dr. McAdams
For more on preventing cavities and gum disease read what the ADA has to say: